Welcome to my AS Media Blog, this is a blog which follows the journey of the making and also the planning of my music magazine. This is the coursework part of my AS Media Studies, which I have to make a music magazine for. Here are the main Posts that I have done:

School Magazine- this was a preliminary task
Initial Ideas- this has all of the ideas that I had for my music magazine at the start of this project
Rough Cut- this was my first draft of my music magazine
Rough Cut Feedback- this is the feedback that I got from my target audience on what they through of my first draft of my music magazine
Final cut- this is my final magazine after I have improved on the feedback from my target audience
Evaluation- this is an evaluation of my music magazine and also this project as a whole

Monday 13 February 2012

Coldplay Q Magazine, Front Cover Research


This is my third front cover research that I have done is in another front cover from Q magazine. This is the January 2012 issue of Q magazine.


 The text that is used on this front cover is a mix of bold, capital words and a hand written font. The hand written font has been used for on the top of the page for the words “2011 reviewed” and on the left side of the page for the “secrets of Coldplay” part. The other type of font the font that is bold has been used on the rest of the front cover. I feel that the hand written font helps to make it more eye catching as it stands out from the normal bold, block capitals that are on most magazines.  I like this mix of two types of font helps to make the more important things to stand out. So I may do this with my music magazine.

Something else about the font is that the font on the left hand side is shaped around the picture so that it does not go on to the picture, where as the font on the left does do on to the picture. This is something that was the same on the other Q front cover that I looked at where the font went over the picture on the left hand side. I feel that this is because of the way that the logo is so big and takes up a lot of the shape on the left hand side of the front cover.

The colours that have been used on this front cover are a good mix as the colours that have been used are white and yellow for the text. I feel these have been used as the background is so busy with all of the different colours that the yellow and the white are the main colours that stand out against the background, as they are light and most of the background is black with bright colours on it. I will not want to have a background with this many colours in, as this will make it hard to pick the colour scheme that I want to use. But I do like the choice of colours that they picked for the font on this front cover.

The picture that has been used for this front cover is a picture of the lead singer of Coldplay. The picture that has been used is a good picture as it is very different to the normal type of picture that is used on the front of most magazines where the artist is on the front and is look at the camera and also is in the centre of the page. Another thing that is different about this picture is that it is a long shot that shows his whole body were as most pictures are mid shots of the artist. So this picture that has been used here is very different to the normal type of picture but I feel that this works really well as it is different so it catches your eye more. And another thing is that the background is not just one colour like most backgrounds are it is very colourful. I like this picture as it is different and also helps to make this front cover to stand out from other magazines. I may do this where the picture is not the normal image where the artist is in the centre, with them looking at the camera, and a mid shot. I may do my image were it is a bit different like this image.

The Q logo has the artist arm going throw it I also feel that this helps to make the picture and overall cover standout more. This also helps to bring the logo and the picture together as normally the logo is over the top of the picture and this makes the logo not look good if it covers up some of the picture. It’s not as bad if the logo does not cover some of the picture but if it does then it does not look very good. I like the way that they have done this with the picture and logo.

There is only one main image on this front cover were as something that is different about the MOJO magazine is that it had two smaller pictures as well as the one main one. There is only one main picture on this front cover which I feel is a good thing as this picture is so busy because of the background so then it is best that there is only the one main image. I may do this so that there is only on main image on the front cover, but it will depend on the picture that I will be using on my front cover.

The logo is in the top left hand corner which is something that a lot of the magazines do. There is then the barcode, with the price and the issue number and the date and year of the magazine. This is also on the left hand side of this magazine.  I do not like this as it leaves less shape on the left hand side for part of the picture and the text. Most magazines have the barcode with all of the information on the right hand side, this is where I feel that my barcode with the information will do. 

No comments:

Post a Comment